Lion Server: Create a user account
- In the Users pane of the Server app, click the Add button (+).
- In the Full Name field, enter the user’s name. The name can be up to 255 characters (or as few as 85 Japanese characters), and can include spaces.
- In the Account Name field, enter the user’s short name. If you don’t want to use the generated short name, enter a different short name.
After the account is created, you can’t change this short name.
The short name typically is eight or fewer characters, but can be up to 255 Roman characters. Use only the characters a through z, A through Z, 0 through 9, . (period), _ (underscore), or - (hyphen).Note: If a user already has a short name on a Mac, try to use the same short name for the user’s account on the server. Having the same short name helps with the user’s access to services.
- Enter the user’s password in the Password and Verify fields. You can use Password Assistant to help you choose a password. Click the button to the right of the Password field to see how secure the password is. The user can change this password in the Users & Groups pane of System Preferences on the user’s computer.
- To associate a picture with the user account, click the silhouette and select a standard picture, or click Edit Picture for a customized picture. When you click Edit Picture, you can take a picture with your computer’s camera or choose a graphic file on your computer. After taking or choosing a picture, you can drag the picture to pan it, or use the slider to zoom it. When you finish customizing the picture, click Set.
- Click Done to create the user account.