iChat 6.x: Add people to your buddy lists
Buddy lists let you know who is available to chat. You start a chat by double-clicking a name in a buddy list.
Unless you select “Show all my accounts in one list” in the General pane of iChat preferences, there’s a separate buddy list for every account you activate. There are separate lists for buddies you chat with using an iCloud or MobileMe (me.com or Mac.com) account, an AIM account, a Jabber account, a Google Talk account, or a Yahoo! account.
When you add a Jabber or Google Talk buddy to a buddy list, an authorization window opens on the computer of the person you added. To learn how the person’s response to the window affects your buddy lists, see:
Add a person to a buddy list
- If you don’t see the buddy list, choose Window, and then choose the name of the active account you want to use for chatting with the buddy.
If you’re showing all active accounts in one list, choose Window > iChat Buddies.
- If you’re using separate buddy lists and the person you want to add appears in your Bonjour list and has an account compatible with the buddy list you’re using, drag the person’s name from the Bonjour list to your buddy list. Otherwise, go to step 3.
- Click the Add (+) button in the buddy list window.
- Choose Add Buddy.
- If you’re using a single buddy list, choose the account you want to use for chatting with the buddy from the “Add to” pop-up menu.
- If the person you want to add has a compatible instant messaging account listed in Address Book, choose his or her name from the list and click Add or double-click the name. Otherwise, complete the remaining steps.
If you don’t see the list, click the disclosure triangle next to the “Last name” field.
- Enter your buddy’s buddy name in the “Account name” field.
- If your buddy list is divided into groups, choose a group for this buddy from the “Add to group” pop-up menu.
Choose Buddies to avoid adding the buddy to a specific group.
- If you like, enter your buddy’s first and last names in the “First name” and “Last name” fields.
- Click Add.
Add someone you chatted with
If you chatted with someone not on a buddy list, you can quickly add that person.
- If you’re using separate buddy lists and the person’s name appears in the Recent Buddies section of your buddy list, drag the name to the location in your list where you want it to appear.
- Select a group chat or chat room, and then choose View > Show Chat Participants. Drag a name from the participants list to your buddy list.
- Select a one-to-one chat, and then choose Buddies > Add Buddy.