OS X Lion: Protect your computer from harmful applications
Some harmful applications exist that can cause problems for your computer. Frequently, a harmful application will try to appear as an innocent document, such as a movie or graphic file. These applications, called “trojans,” are most often spread by Internet downloads and email enclosures.
Here are some tips to protect your computer from harmful applications.
- Never download unlicensed or “pirated” software from the Internet.
- Accept only applications you receive from a known and trusted source.
- Run an antivirus program if you find any suspicious files or applications, or if you notice any suspicious behavior on your computer.
- To reduce the amount of exposure to harmful applications or files, limit the number of administrator accounts you create. Consider creating a user account for your daily work and use the administrator account only when you need to install software or administer accounts.
- If you enabled the root user and you don’t currently need it, disable it.