OS X Mountain Lion: Set up a scanner
You can add a scanner to the list of devices in Print & Scan preferences.
If you’ve already set up a printer that includes a scanner, you may be able to use its scanner features without any additional work. Select the printer in the list at the left, and then click Scan. If you don’t see the Scan button, see the documentation that came with your printer to find out how to set it up.
- Before setting up your scanner, choose Apple menu > Software Update to make sure OS X has the latest information about scanner software it can download from Apple.
- Follow the instructions that came with the scanner to unpack it and connect it to your computer.
Don’t install software that came with the scanner. OS X downloads the latest scanner software automatically.
- Choose Apple menu > System Preferences, and then click Print & Scan.
- If you don’t see your scanner in the list at the left, click Add (+). If a pop-up menu appears, choose “Add Printer or Scanner.”
- Select your scanner, and click Add.
If your scanner isn’t in the list, see the documentation that came with the scanner to find out how to scan with it.