OS X Mountain Lion: If a FireWire device isn’t working
If a FireWire device isn’t working properly, make sure you connected it to your computer correctly, plugged it into a power outlet if it has a power cord, and installed any software it needs.
- Make sure all FireWire devices are turned on and all cables are connected.
- If the device requires a power cord, make sure it’s plugged in.
- Make sure you installed any software that came with the device. Check the manufacturer’s website for the latest software.
- If the device is in a chain of devices, each connected to another with only one connected directly to a FireWire port, make sure that all the devices other than the one connected directly to the port have their power cords. (And if the device connected directly to the port requires a power cord, it should have one, too.) If that doesn’t work, try plugging the device directly into your computer.
- Open System Information and then click FireWire. If the device appears but does not work, the problem might be with the device. Review the device’s documentation for further troubleshooting steps.
- If the device still doesn’t work, try quitting and restarting any apps that use the device, or choose Apple menu > Restart.
If these suggestions don’t work, see the documentation that came with the device for troubleshooting tips, or contact the manufacturer for help.