About the new iWork for Mac: Features and compatibility
Learn about the new iWork for Mac.
The new iWork applications—Pages, Numbers, and Keynote—were released for Mac on October 22nd, 2013. These applications were rewritten from the ground up to be fully 64-bit and to support a unified file format between OS X and iOS 7 versions, as well as iWork for iCloud beta.
These apps feature an all-new design with an intelligent format panel and many new features such as easy ways to share documents, Apple-designed styles for objects, interactive charts, new templates, and new animations in Keynote.
In rewriting these applications, some features from iWork ’09 were not available for the initial release. We have reintroduced some of these features and will continue to add brand new features on an ongoing basis.
Some features reintroduced in iWork for Mac
- Customize toolbar (Introduced in Pages 5.0.1)
- Vertical ruler (Introduced in Pages 5.1)
- Improved alignment guides (Introduced in Pages 5.0.1 and 5.1)
- Improved object placement (Introduced in Pages 5.2)
- Import of cells with images (Introduced in Pages 5.2)
- Improved word counts (Introduced in Pages 5.1)
- Keyboard shortcuts for styles (Introduced in Pages 5.1)
- Manage pages and sections from the thumbnail view (Introduced in Pages 5.2)
- Customize toolbar (Introduced in Numbers 3.0.1)
- Improvements to zoom and window placement (Introduced in Numbers 3.0.1)
- Multi-column and range sort (Introduced in Numbers 3.1)
- Auto-complete text in cells (Introduced in Numbers 3.1)
- Page headers and footers (Introduced in Numbers 3.2)
- Improvements to AppleScript support (Introduced in Numbers 3.1)
- Customize toolbar (Introduced in Keynote 6.0.1)
- Restoring old transitions and builds (Introduced in Keynote 6.0.1 and 6.1)
- Transitions included in 6.0.1: Blinds, Color Planes, Confetti, Perspective, Pivot, Swoosh
- Builds included in 6.0.1: Blinds, Fly In, Fly Out, Orbital, Pivot, Scale Big, Swoosh
- Transitions included in 6.1: Droplet, Grid
- Improvements to presenter display (Introduced in Keynote 6.1 and 6.2)
- Improvements to AppleScript support (Introduced in Keynote 6.2)
In the meanwhile, you can continue to use these features by accessing the previous versions of the iWork applications which remain installed on your Mac. The previous versions can be found in Applications > iWork ’09.
Working with documents created in earlier iWork for Mac applications
With Pages 5.0.1 or later, Numbers 3.0.1 or later, and Keynote 6.0.1 or later, a dialog such as this appears when you save or edit an iWork '09 document:
For more information about this dialog and the actions for each button, see importing and exporting iWork ’09 documents.
- For information about using EndNote with Pages 5.0 and later, see About the Pages for Mac EndNote plug-in.
- iWork for Mac help.
- You can also provide feedback.