Volume Purchase Program: Migrating from redemption codes to managed distribution
Organizations that participate in the Volume Purchase Program (VPP) can choose between two different distribution methods for each VPP transaction: managed distribution or redeemable codes.
With managed distribution, organizations retain ownership and control of apps purchased through VPP. They can assign apps and books to users and groups through a mobile device management (MDM) solution, and they can revoke and reassign the apps as needed. After they assign books, the user retains ownership of the books.
Alternatively, Organizations can use redemption codes to transfer ownership of apps or books to the user's iTunes account, or they can use redemption codes with Apple Configurator to distribute apps to devices using Apple Configurator.
Migrating redemption codes to managed distribution
If you previously purchased redemption codes through VPP, you can request to migrate these codes for use with managed distribution if the codes are unredeemed or were redeemed through Apple Configurator.
Previously purchased redemption codes that have been redeemed by users can't be migrated.
Consider the following before you decide if migrating from redemption codes to managed distribution will work for your organization:
- Make sure you want all your unredeemed codes or codes redeemed through Apple Configurator converted to managed distribution before you request migration. If you choose migration, all previously purchased codes must be migrated and all unredeemed codes will be disabled after you convert to managed distribution. If you have unredeemed codes in circulation within your organization, you may want to redeem them, alert users that they won't be available, or delay migration until they have been redeemed.
- If you use Apple Configurator for devices that are shared between employees or students, you may want to use redemption codes because managed distribution requires individual Apple IDs. Apple Configurator will continue to support distribution of apps through redemption code for shared or non-personalized devices.
Important: The migration from redemption codes to managed distribution is permanent and cannot be reversed.
- A Mobile Device Management solution (MDM) is required for managed distribution. Make sure you have an MDM solution in place and that it’s linked to your VPP account before you request migration. Profile Manager in OS X Server (Mavericks) supports managed distribution. For other MDM solutions, check with your MDM provider to ensure they support VPP managed distribution under iOS 7 and OS X Mavericks v10.9 or later.
- Managed distribution requires iOS 7 or later or OS X Mavericks v10.9 or later. Devices that use a prior version of iOS or OS X can't be assigned apps or books through managed distribution using MDM.
- Each user much have a personal Apple ID to use apps and books assigned through managed distribution.
If you reviewed the requirements and want to migrate from redemption codes to managed distribution for all previous purchases made with your VPP account, submit your request using the online business or education support request form. Select “Migrate redemption codes to managed distribution” in the menu at the top of the form.