Sync iBooks between devices
Your books, collections, highlights, notes, and bookmarks are available automatically across your Mac and iOS devices. Just use OS X Mavericks, iOS 7 or later, and the same Apple ID to sign in to the iBooks Store.
OS X Mavericks v10.9 or later includes the iBooks app, and it works just like iBooks for your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch. iBooks is also included with iOS 8. If you buy a book on your Mac or your iOS device, it’s automatically available on all of your iOS devices that are using iOS 7 or later and all of your Mac computers that are using OS X Mavericks v10.9 or later. And you can sync your bookmarks, notes, and collections across your devices. In iOS 7, your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch will automatically ask you to sync.
Download books to your device
Items purchased on other devices might appear in your library with a cloud badge in the corner of the book's cover. This shows that the item is available, but isn't on your Mac or iOS device. To download the item and start reading it, select the book you want to read. The book will download and open after a few moments, depending on your connection speed.
If you don't see all of your purchased items in iBooks, check your settings:
- To see all of your purchased books on your Mac, choose View > Show Purchases in iCloud.
- To see all of your purchased books on your iOS device:
- In iBooks 3.2 or earlier, choose Settings > iBooks > Show All Purchases.
- In iBooks 4.0 or later, turn Hide iCloud Books off in the Collections menu.
Keep your books up to date across your devices
If you start reading a book on one device, you can pick up right where you left off on another device. Collections, highlights, notes, and bookmarks sync across all of your devices. Select these settings to sync:
- On your Mac, open the iBooks app and select iBooks > Preferences > General. Then, select "Sync bookmarks, highlights and collections across devices." This setting is on by default.
- On your iOS device, go to Settings > iBooks. Then, select Sync Collections and Sync Bookmarks and Notes. (In iBooks 3.2 or earlier, select Sync Collections and Sync Bookmarks.)
If you don't see all of your information on all of your devices, check the settings:
- Make sure that you turned on the above sync settings on all of your devices.
- Make sure that you're using the same Apple ID in the iBooks Store on all of your devices.
Learn how to sync PDFs and non-iBooks Store books.