Apple ID: All about Apple ID security questions
Learn when security questions are needed, how to make them more secure, how to reset them, and what to do if you've forgotten the answer to one or more of your questions.
Apple uses security questions to help you keep your account secure and provide you with a secondary method to identify yourself online or when contacting Apple Support.
When will I be asked to provide answers to my Apple ID security questions?
When you make a purchase on a new device or when you attempt to change your password and security information at My Apple ID, you might be asked to answer your Apple ID security questions to help verify your identity.
How can I make my Apple ID security questions as secure as possible?
- Make sure security questions are memorable to you, but hard for others to guess.
- If you think the answers to your questions are fairly common, choose different questions.
- Consider questions with answers that are case sensitive and contain numbers or special characters.
- Set a rescue email address for your Apple ID; use it to reset your questions if you can't remember the answers.
How can I reset my Apple ID security questions?
- Sign in to My Apple ID.
- Select the “Password and Security” tab.
- Answer your existing security question(s), then choose new questions and answers.
- Click Save.
What should I do if I don't remember the answers to my Apple ID security questions?
If you forgot the answers to your security questions, try answering them at least once to see if you can get them right, even if you're not sure you remember the answers. If you're confident that you can't remember them, try one of the following:
- If you have three security questions and a rescue email address, sign in to My Apple ID and select the “Password and Security” tab to send an email to your rescue email address to reset your security questions and answers.
- If you have one security question and you know your Apple ID password, sign in to My Apple ID and select the “Password and Security” tab to reset your security question.
- If you have one security question, but don't remember your Apple ID password, contact Apple Support for assistance. Learn more about creating a temporary support PIN to help Apple confirm your identity when you contact Apple Support.
Note: If you forgot your password and answer your security questions incorrectly too many times in a row, you will be unable to try to answer your security questions for a period of time. During that time, you will not be able to reset your password and will not have access to your account.
I don't have any security questions. How do I set them up?
Visit My Apple ID to set up security questions.