Opening iWork files in iWork for iCloud beta
Learn about using iWork for iCloud beta to open files created in the iWork for iOS or Mac apps (Pages, Numbers, and Keynote).
Opening large files
iWork for iCloud can open iWork for iOS and iWork for Mac files up to 1 GB in size. If you try to open a file larger than 1 GB, you'll see an alert indicating that the file can't be opened because it's too large. You'll be asked to reduce the size and try again.
Features that behave differently after importing your document
These features behave differently in iWork for iCloud beta. They don't change in the original copy of your iWork for iOS or iWork for Mac document.
Importing from all iWork apps
- Comments are hidden.
- 3D charts appear as 2D charts. They remain 3D in iWork for iOS and iWork for Mac.
- You can view a movie’s poster frame and view an icon that represents an audio file. You can't play or edit movies or audio files.
- You can view connection lines, but you can't edit them.
- You can view conditional highlighting on table cells, but you can't edit conditional highlighting rules. You can edit rules in iWork for Mac.
Importing from Keynote
- You can’t view or edit builds, but they remain in the document and are visible and editable on Mac and iOS.
- Transitions that aren't yet supported in Keynote for iCloud beta appear as Dissolve. The original transitions remain in the document and are visible and editable on Mac and iOS. See Using Keynote for iCloud beta with Internet Explorer for more information.
- The soundtrack (audio set to play for the duration of the slideshow) won't play. It remains in the document and will play in Keynote for Mac and iOS.
- Recorded audio (voiceover narration) won't play. It remains in the document and will play in Keynote for Mac and iOS, but any edits you make in Keynote for iCloud beta may make the recording out of sync with the slideshow.
- The “automatically play upon open” setting is ignored.
- The “restart show if idle” setting is ignored.
Importing from Pages
Right-to-left text isn’t supported. Text and table columns will display left-to-right in iCloud, and right-to-left on iOS and Mac.
Importing from Numbers
- Importing from Numbers for iOS:
- Forms in a Numbers for iOS spreadsheet are hidden when you open the spreadsheet in Numbers for iCloud beta. However, in Numbers for iCloud beta you can edit a table linked to a form, and those edits appear in the form when you open the spreadsheet in Numbers for iOS. In Numbers for iCloud beta, deleting a table linked to a form clears the form, and merging cells in a table linked to a form may clear the form.
- Importing from Numbers for Mac:
- Tables appear unfiltered, and you can’t view or edit the filtering rules. However, the filtering rules are retained. You can edit them in Numbers on a Mac, and turn them on or off in Numbers for iOS.
When you open a Pages document that has change tracking turned on, you will see a dialog with two choices:
- Open: If you choose Open, the document will open in Pages for iCloud beta and tracked changes will be accepted.
- Open Copy: If you choose Open Copy, a copy of the document will open in Pages for iCloud beta and tracked changes will be accepted in the copy. The original document will remain closed and retain the tracked changes.
You can also open your iWork for iCloud documents in iWork for Mac or iOS, if you're using the required versions of iWork and iOS or OS X.