Java updates available for OS X on April 16, 2013
Java updates are available that address a recently identified Java web plug-in vulnerability.
Click here if you're running OS X Lion v10.7.5 or OS X Mountain Lion v10.8.3, or later
Use one of these methods:
- For a new installation of Java 7:
- Download the latest Java 7 version from www.java.com/download/mac_download.jsp.
- Open the downloaded disk image.
- Open the installer within and follow the onscreen instructions.
- If Java 7 is already installed:
- Choose Apple menu () > System Preferences….
- Choose View > Java to open the Java Control Panel app.
- Click the Update tab.
- Click Update Now button and follow the onscreen instructions.
Click here for if you're running Mac OS X v10.6.8
Open Software Update and install all available updates. Additional updates may become available after installation.
To help limit exposure to potential Java web app vulnerabilities, try to follow this best practice:
- Enable Java in your web browser only when you need to run a Java web app.
- Confine your web browser only to the websites that need the Java web app. Do not open any other websites while the Java web plug-in is enabled.
- When you are done, disable the Java web plug-in. See How to disable the Java web plug-in in Safari.