iTunes Match on iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch
Learn about using iTunes Match on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.
- Mac or PC with iTunes to subscribe to iTunes Match
- iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch with iOS 5.0.1 or later
Turning iTunes Match On
- On your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, tap Settings > Music.
- Turn on iTunes Match.
- Open the Music app to view your iTunes Match music in the cloud. It may take a few minutes for your iTunes Match library to appear depending on your Internet connection and the size of your iTunes Match library. You may see a progress bar while your device syncs with iTunes Match.
- The download icon will appear to the right of any songs or albums that are in the cloud but not downloaded onto your iOS device.
Using iTunes Match
Downloading or streaming from iTunes Match
You can browse by Genius Mixes, Playlists, Artists, Songs, Albums, Genres, Compilations, or Composers. When you find something you like, tap the song name to begin streaming that song or playlist. If you begin streaming a song from a playlist, iTunes Match will continue playing the rest of your playlist after the initial song has finished.
If you'd like to download the song or playlist to your iOS device, tap the download icon to the right of the song or at the bottom of the playlist.
Deleting songs downloaded to your device
You can delete a song or album from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch at any time. Don't worry; it'll still be in the cloud.
- Tap the Music app.
- Tap More > Songs at the bottom.
- Scroll or search for the song you would like to delete from your device.
- Swipe right to left on the song, and then tap Delete.
Note: You must be in Artists, Songs, or Albums view to delete songs from your device. Deleting from a playlist won't remove a song from your iOS device.
When you change a playlist from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, the changes will happen on all of your other iTunes Match enabled devices.
- Tap Playlists at the bottom of the Music app.
- Select a playlist you would like to edit and scroll to the top of the playlist.
- Tap Edit to delete or add individual songs to a playlist. You can also rearrange the sort order of songs contained in that playlist.
- Tap Clear to delete all songs from a selected playlist.
- Tap Delete to delete the entire playlist from your iTunes Match library. Remember, deleting or clearing songs from a playlist doesn't remove the songs from your device if they've been downloaded.
Editing Smart Playlists can't be done from an iOS device. To edit a Smart Playlist, you must use a computer that's enabled for your iTunes Match library.
Good to know
- When you enable iTunes Match on your iOS device, the music library on your iOS device will be deleted and replaced with your music in iCloud.
- Syncing music with iTunes will be disabled while iTunes Match is enabled on your iOS device.
- By default, when you add an iOS device to iTunes Match, the option to download over a cellular network isn't enabled1. To enable downloading over a cellular network for iTunes Match, choose Settings > iTunes & App Stores > Use Cellular Data > On.
- When you use iTunes Match on an iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Mac, or PC, it will be associated with the Apple ID you use for iTunes Match. Learn more about subscribing to iTunes Match.