Mac Basics: Launchpad
Launchpad lets you see, organize, and easily open your apps. Learn how to use and organize Launchpad in OS X.
To enter Launchpad and quickly access your apps:
- Click the Launchpad icon in the Dock
- Or, use a thumb-and-three-finger pinch in gesture on your trackpad
- Or, press the F4 key
Elements of Launchpad
- App icon – Click any app icon to open it.
- Search field (OS X Mountain Lion only) – Enter the app name or portion of an app name to find it, no matter which Launchpad page it is on.
- Folder icon – Click it to open a Launchpad folder. The "Other" folder shown has several OS X utilities and other apps in it.
- Launchpad page – Customizable set of app and folder icons. Tip: Two finger swipes on your trackpad moves you to the next Launchpad page, or you can click the page dot (item 7) to jump to a Launchpad page.
- Launchpad icon in the Dock – Click it to enter and exit Launchpad. A blue progress bar is present when downloading and installing apps or software updates. Tip: Hover the cursor over the icon to see download progress or installing stage.
- Dock – The OS X Dock.
- Launchpad page dots – The white dot shows the page you are on, dimmed dots show other Launchpad pages you can click to jump to.
- App download or update icon – The black & white icon will have a white progress bar with download numbers or installing stage.
Here's how you can exit Launchpad:
- Swipe a thumb-and-three-finger pinch out gesture on your trackpad:
- Click an app icon
- Press the Escape (esc) key or F4 key
- Click the Launchpad icon on the Dock
Organizing Launchpad icons is a lot like organizing icons on an iOS device.
Create a folder
- Drag a icon onto another icon and hold until you see a folder appear, then let go.
- Drag icons to rearrange them within the folder.
- You can change the default name of the folder by clicking it. Enter the new name and press Return or Enter.
Add an icon to a folder
- Drag a icon on top of a folder and hold until the folder opens.
- Drag the icon to the location you want it within the folder. Note: If no icons move over for your icon, the folder is full.
Remove an icon from a folder
- Drag the icon from the folder to just outside the folder and hold until the folder closes.
- Drag the icon to the desired Launchpad page and location.
Delete a folder
- Drag all the icons out of the folder.
Move an icon
- Click an icon and drag it to the desired Launchpad page location, then let go. Tip: Holding the icon near but not on top of another icon will make that icon move over for your icon.
Create a new Launchpad page
- While in the right-most Launchpad page, drag a icon over the the right edge of the screen and hold for a second.
Delete a Launchpad page
- Drag all icons off of the Launchpad page.
Delete a Mac App Store app
First, press an icon until they all start to jiggle.
- Click the "X" icon in the upper left of the icon you would like to delete.
Note: If there is no "X" icon, it is not an Mac App Store app, but you can manually delete it from the Applications folder.
- Click "Delete" to confirm.
Tip: You can use the Mac App Store to install the app again if you want it back.