What's new in iBooks Author
Learn about what's new in iBooks Author.
Create new gorgeous portrait-only books
- iBooks Author now supports portrait-only books with complete control of layout.
- Starting with a Portrait Only template enables creation of books in fixed portrait orientation, and the orientation switching UI will be disabled in iBooks Author.
- Instead of using the text flow format of a landscape book in portrait orientation, portrait-only books provide the same navigation, table of contents, and interaction as would be available to a landscape book in landscape orientation.
Embed custom fonts into books for complete control over text appearance
- Support for TrueType (.ttf) and OpenType (.otf) fonts.
- Font files are obfuscated (protected) when they are written into the iBooks file on publish or export.
- The author or publisher must secure appropriate rights to the fonts used (in keeping with similar rights for use of images, text, and media).
Learn more about using custom fonts in iBooks Author.
Add even more interactivity with new Scrolling Sidebar and Pop-Over widgets
- This release adds two new Multi-Touch widgets, the Scrolling Sidebar and the Pop-Over.
- Scrolling Sidebar provides a vertically scrolling region that may contain text and images larger than the initially defined area. Readers may scroll through this region to read the enclosed content.
- The Pop-Over widget provides a custom image that acts as a trigger to display a scrolling region similar to the Scrolling Sidebar. The Pop-Over may also contain text and graphics.
Support for mathematical expressions
- Authors can insert sophisticated mathematical expressions using LaTeX and MathML notation.
- Equations are beautifully rendered directly in iBooks Author.
- Invalid LaTeX and MathML expressions are flagged.
- Authors can also use MathType 6.7d (and later) as an external equation editor with round-trip editing support.
Learn more about using LaTeX and MathML in iBooks Author.
Automatic optimization of media for iPad
- iBooks Author now supports all media formats supported by QuickTime.
- Media files are automatically optimized to meet the requirements for video and audio on iPad.
- Optimization is triggered when a media file or Keynote file containing a media file is added.
- Media files are optimized one at a time. If you add multiple files, they are queued while awaiting optimization. Book editing may continue while optimization progresses.
- Files are compressed to reduce file size without compromising quality.
- Movies are placed in .m4v containers, and audio files are placed in .m4p containers.
Learn more about using media files in iBooks Author.
Improved support for embedded audio including custom play image
- iBooks Author now supports all audio formats supported by QuickTime.
- Audio file playback is possible through three interaction models:
- iBooks Author can provide a scrubber bar.
- iBooks Author can display a play/pause button.
- The author can supply a custom play/pause image. Only one image may be supplied (not different images for play and pause).
Improved publishing workflow
- iBooks Author leads the author through a series of screens to ensure a simpler publishing process.
- iBooks Author checks the book for errors before exporting it for iTunes Producer.
- Authors are presented with the option to automatically create a sample book based on a selected chapter.
Version numbering for books
- Authors must enter a new version number when publishing an update to a book already available on the iBooks Store.
- Authors must enter a version number when exporting a book.
- Authors may not enter a version number when exporting a book as a sample.
- About the Version Number:
- iBooks Author supplies a default version number of 1.0.
- The version number is displayed with the book on the iBooks Store.
- About the Version Number format:
- Use dot-separated integers, with a maximum of two dots, three components, and four integers per component. For example: 1111.1111.1111
- Initial zeros are ignored. 1.01 is read as 1.1
- 1.10 is considered larger than 1.9.
- Letters are not permitted.
- Readers upgrading to a new version of a book will have highlights, notes, and bookmarks preserved in the new version. Learn more about how highlights and bookmarks are migrated when you update a book.
Enhanced to take advantage of the Retina display on the new MacBook Pro
- iBooks Author takes full advantage of the MacBook Pro with Retina display, providing a wonderful experience with vivid graphics and sharp text.
Additional Apple-designed templates
- iBooks Author includes new Landscape with Portrait and Portrait Only templates.