Mountain Lion: How to set up and maintain a FIPS-enabled system
Learn how to set up and maintain a FIPS-enabled OS X Mountain Lion system.
The OS X Mountain Lion cryptographic module requires an additional setup step to place the system into "FIPS Mode" for full compliance. The FIPS Administration Installer must be obtained and installed on the system by the System Administrator (Crypto Officer).
How to install the FIPS Administration Tools
For complete instructions about FIPS Administration Installation and management, refer to the Crypto Officer Role Guide for FIPS 140-2 Compliance OS X Mountain Lion v10.8.
The FIPS Administration Installer is available here. For complete instructions about FIPS Administration Installation and management, refer to the Crypto Officer Role Guide for FIPS 140-2 Compliance OS X Mountain Lion v10.8.
- Log in as an administrator on the destination computer system where the tools will be installed.
- Double-click the FIPS Administration Installer package.
- Click Continue after reading the information on the Introduction page.
- Click Continue after reading the information on the Read Me page. You can also print or save the information on this page as needed.
- Click Continue after reading the Software License Agreement on the License page. You can also print or save the information on this page as needed.
- Click Agree if you agree with the terms of the software license. Otherwise click Disagree and the installer will exit.
- Select the OS X volume to install the FIPS Administration Tools, then click Continue on the Select Destination page. The FIPS Administration Tools should only be installed on the startup (boot) volume.
- Click the Install button.
- Enter your administrator username and password.
- Click Continue Installation with the understanding that the computer must be restarted once the installation is complete.
- Click Restart.
If you encounter an issue, use the following steps:
- Restart the system in Single-User Mode. See: Starting up in single-user mode.
- Review the system.log for clarification of issues detected. The system log file is located at: /var/log/system.log
- If tool-related issues are found, re-run the installer and try again.
- If the integrity of the Security Module has not passed validation, reinstall OS X Mountain Lion, any available software updates, and then re-install this tool.
- If you are still unable to identify the issue, search Apple Support for FIPS-related information.
Note: If you need further assistance, you can contact AppleCare for support.
OS X Lion v10.7 information