How to disable the Java web plug-in in Safari
Learn how to disable the Java web plug-in in Safari.
Important: Run Software Update and install all updates until Software Update reports "Your software is up to date." The steps in this article apply to Safari 6.0.4 or later, and Safari 5.1.9 or later.
To disable the Java web plug-in in Safari, follow these steps:
- In Safari, choose Safari > Preferences or press Command-comma (⌘-,)
- Click "Security".
- Uncheck (deselect) "Allow Java".
- Close the Safari preferences window.
To re-enable Java in Safari, check "Allow Java".
- See this article for details about how to update the Java web plug-in.
- Click this link for information about how to disable the Java web plug-in in Chrome.
- Click this link for information about how to disable the Java web plug-in in Firefox.
Mention of third-party websites and products is for informational purposes only and constitutes neither an endorsement nor a recommendation. Apple assumes no responsibility with regard to the selection, performance or use of information or products found at third-party websites. Apple provides this only as a convenience to our users. Apple has not tested the information found on these sites and makes no representations regarding its accuracy or reliability. There are risks inherent in the use of any information or products found on the Internet, and Apple assumes no responsibility in this regard. Please understand that a third-party site is independent from Apple and that Apple has no control over the content on that website. Please contact the vendor
for additional information.
Last Modified: Jul 25, 2013
Additional Product Support Information