iOS: How to use AirPlay Mirroring
Learn how to use AirPlay Mirroring with your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to mirror your device's display on your HD TV using Apple TV.
Apple TV (2nd generation), Apple TV (3rd generation), iPad, iPhone, iPod touch
Learn more about using AirPlay.
To use AirPlay Mirroring, you will need the following:
- iPhone 4S (or later), iPad 2 (or later), iPad mini, or iPod touch (5th generation)1
- Apple TV (2nd or 3rd generation)2
- Wi-Fi (802.11a/g/n) network
Enable AirPlay Mirroring
- Connect your iOS device and your Apple TV to the same Wi-Fi network.
- On your iOS device, double-click the Home button to display your recently used apps.3
- Swipe the recently used apps twice from left to right until you see the AirPlay icon: . If you do not see the AirPlay icon on your iOS device, your iOS device and Apple TV may not be on the same network. Get help troubleshooting, if necessary.
- Tap the AirPlay icon, , to display a list of available AirPlay devices.
- To use AirPlay Mirroring, select the name of your Apple TV, then toggle the ON/OFF slider to ON.
- AirPlay Mirroring requires iOS 5 or later. Ensure that your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch is using the latest software version.
- Apple TV (2nd or 3rd generation) must use version 5.0 or later software. Update your Apple TV to the latest software version.
- Learn more about multitasking on your iOS device.