What to do before selling or giving away your Mac
Before you sell or give away your Mac, back up and remove your data from your computer to keep the data safe.
Learn how to back up and remove the data from your Mac before selling or giving it away.
Important: Do not manually delete mail, contacts, calendars, reminders, documents, or photos in My Photo Stream (or in a shared stream), or delete any other iCloud data while signed in to your iCloud account. Doing so will not only delete that information from your Mac, but will also delete it from the iCloud servers and any other devices you keep updated with iCloud. Instead, follow the steps below to remove your iCloud account from your Mac and leave your iCloud data intact on your other devices.
- Deauthorize your computer from iTunes (if applicable).
- Back up your data with Time Machine.
- If enabled, turn off Find My Mac and sign out of iCloud. Choose System Preferences > iCloud, deselect Find My Mac to disconnect your devices from iCloud, and click Sign Out to automatically remove iCloud data from your Mac.
- Reformat your hard drive with Disk Utility to erase all stored data and then reinstall OS X on your computer. For instructions specific to your operating system, select the appropriate link below:
Optional: You can return your Mac to its original "out-of-the-box" state, so the new owner can set up the computer with the OS X Setup Assistant.
- After you reformat your hard drive and reinstall OS X, the Setup Assistant automatically starts and displays the Welcome screen that asks you to choose your country or region. Do not continue with the setup of your system.
- Press Command-Q to shut down your Mac.
Your Mac is now ready for its new owner. When the Mac is turned on for the first time, the Setup Assistant will guide the new owner through the setup process.