Apple TV (2nd and 3rd generation): Purchasing and viewing movies
With Apple TV software version 5.0 or later, you can purchase movies directly on your Apple TV (2nd or 3rd generation) and view them using your Apple TV.
Note: Not all movies are available for purchase, but may be available for renting. For information about renting movies on Apple TV, read this article.
To purchase movies on your Apple TV (2nd or 3rd generation)
- Select Movies from the main Apple TV menu.
- Choose Top Movies, Genres, Genius or Search.
- Find a movie you would like to purchase and select it.
- When you've decided on a selection you want, choose Buy from the onscreen menu to purchase the selection.
- A confirmation message will appear. Click OK to continue.
- A prompt will tell you where you can find your purchased movie. Click OK to continue.
To view previously purchased movies on your Apple TV (2nd or 3rd generation)
- On the Apple TV main menu, choose Movies > Purchased.
- Your purchased movie will be displayed by show titles.
- Find a movie you would like to view and select it.
- Choose Play.
- 1080p movie content for iTunes Store is only available on Apple TV (3rd generation).
- Apple TV (2nd and 3rd generation) are set by default to provide the highest resolutions available from iTunes Store. If you are experiencing long wait times and playback performance issues when attempting to view iTunes Store movie content, please read this article for additional troubleshooting.
- Not all movies are available for purchase on Apple TV.
- Not all movies are available in 1080p HD. Movies that are available in 1080p HD will list "1080p HD" in the movie details section (as seen in the image below).