iTunes accounts for students
Learn about iTunes accounts for students.
Your student may be asked to use a personal iTunes account as a part of an education program at school. If the student does not have an account already, he or she can create one for free with the steps outlined in iTunes: How to set up an iTunes Store account (Apple ID).
Having a single personal iTunes account that your student can use for both school and home allows the student easy access to all of his or her school content, notes, and documents, even after the student leaves school.
Your student's personal iTunes account can be used at school in many ways, including:
- Redeeming codes for education content purchased on your student's behalf, such as textbooks
- Taking notes in iBooks and syncing those notes between multiple iOS devices, such as a school-owned iPad and a personally-owned iPod touch
- Signing in to courses on iTunes U
- Re-downloading education content, as applicable
- Adding the student's personal content to a school-owned iOS device, if permitted by school policies
In addition, your student can sign up for a free iCloud account using the same Apple ID he or she used for the iTunes account. With an iCloud account your student can:
- Automatically store personal data with iCloud, and automatically keep it up to date between multiple devices, such as an iPad at school and an iPod touch or a Mac or PC at home
- Use Find My iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, or Mac to locate a lost or stolen device
- Automatically keep education documents up to date between multiple iOS devices, such as an iPad at school and an iPod touch at home
If this is the first time your student will experience the iTunes Store service—or is being asked to create an iTunes account—you may have some questions about how this is done and how the service can be used.
What is an iTunes account
What are the requirements to use the iTunes service?
What is required for my child or student to create an iTunes account?
How will my student's privacy be protected?
Can my student create an iTunes account without a credit card?
Will there be an acceptable use policy for the parent, guardian, or student to sign?
Will my student receive email solicitations and advertisements from Apple?
What if my student's iTunes account password is lost or stolen?