iBooks Author: Using custom fonts in your book
iBooks Author 2.0 allows you to use custom fonts in your books, provided you are licensed to use those fonts for publishing.
iBooks Author can embed custom fonts into books for complete control over text appearance. Only TrueType (.ttf) and OpenType (.otf) fonts are supported for embedding. The Font menu in the Format menu bar will only show supported fonts, but the OS Font panel (accessed by clicking the Fonts button in the toolbar) should display all of the fonts on your system. You will receive a warning if you select an unsupported font, and a supported font will replace it when you view the book on an iPad. For best results, use the Font menu in the Format menu bar to select the fonts in your book.
You can find out the type of a specific font from the info screen in Font Book using these instructions:
To check the font type:
- From your Applications folder, open Font Book.
- Select the font from the Font list.
- Click the info button in the upper-left corner of the Font Book window:
The font type will be listed as "Kind" in the font information window, and the full location, including the file extension, will be listed as "Location." Make sure the file extension is either .ttf or .otf.
When you publish or export your book, iBooks Author will obfuscate (protect) the third-party fonts. This protection is separate from DRM copy protection.
If you are using a third-party font in your book, make sure your licenses for the fonts give you permission to distribute them in this manner. If you are unsure whether this is permitted with your license, you should contact your font provider and/or legal counsel.
Some third-party applications, such as Microsoft Office, may install copies of fonts that are included in your system, but the additional copy may not be compatible with iBooks. If you receive a warning when using a font that should be supported:
- Locate the font in Font Book, and open the disclosure triangle next to the font name.
- Select each version of the font, and view the Location in the font info window.
- If the version of the font that includes .ttf or .otf is currently inactive, select that version, and then choose Enable "font name" from the Edit menu.
- If the version of the font that does not include .ttf or .otf is currently active, select that version, and then choose Disable "font name" from the Edit menu.