iBooks Author: Publishing and distribution FAQ
Find the answers to common questions about distributing and selling books you have created with iBooks Author.
- How can I distribute my work?
- Are there any restrictions on the distribution of works produced with iBooks Author?
- Does Apple own any copyright in the content of my work if I create it in iBooks Author?
- How do I publish my book on iTunes U?
- How do I publish my book on the iBookstore?
- I’m an author or publisher. Can I distribute this work on my own website?
- Can I distribute works created with iBooks Author as part of a product or service that charges a subscription-based fee?
- How can I update a book that I already published to the iBookstore?
You can submit your work for publication in the iBookstore as an .ibooks file, where you can sell it or offer it as a free download. You can also export your book from iBooks Author as a PDF, text file, or .ibooks file which you can distribute outside the iBookstore or through iTunes U.
If a fee is charged for the work and it is in the .ibooks format, the work may only be sold through the iBookstore. If the work is in a different format, such as PDF or ePub, this restriction does not apply.
When the work is provided for free, it can be distributed through the iBookstore or by other means, including when the work is in the .ibooks format.
No. You retain all your rights in the content of your work. However, if your work is distributed in the .ibooks format, then your work is subject to the distribution restrictions described above.
To publish your book on iTunes U, you must have an iTunes U site. If you do not already have an iTunes U site, you can apply for one.
You can sign up to publish your books directly using iTunes Connect. To sign up to sell your books on the iBookstore, complete the application and download iTunes Producer. Books can also be made available for free on the iBookstore.
Yes. You may distribute the work on your own website if the work is provided free of charge or sold in a format other than the .ibooks format (such as PDF or ePub). If you wish to sell your work in the .ibooks format, it may only be sold through the iBookstore.
Yes. If the work is provided in a format other than the .ibooks format (such as PDF or ePub), you may distribute such works as part of a subscription-based product or service outside of the iBookstore.
Learn more about updating your previously-published book.
To learn more about publishing to the iBookstore; refer to Book Publishers: Frequently Asked Questions.