iOS: Understanding Siri and VoiceOver voices
Learn more about Siri and VoiceOver voices.
Your iOS device initially uses a compact voice for both Siri and VoiceOver. After you have configured a Wi-Fi network and have the device connected to a power source, iOS will automatically download and install a more natural-sounding voice.
- Go to Settings > General > Siri > Language.
- Select the Language and Voice Gender* you want to use.
Note: If you change the language or gender for Siri, the new enhanced-quality voice will need to download.
Enable multiple voices using these steps:
- Go to Settings > General > Accessibility > VoiceOver > Languages & Dialects > Add New Language…
- Select the language from the list. You will be taken back to the main Languages & Dialects pane.
- Repeat steps 1 and 2 to enable additional voices that will be available in the Rotor.
VoiceOver on iOS 7 now allows you to enable multiple enhanced-quality voices and adjust the speaking rate for each voice using these steps:
- From the Rotor Languages list, tap the More Info button for the language.
- Tap Enhanced Quality to toggle the voice. The voice will then start to download if the device is connected to a Wi-Fi network.
- Move to the Speech Rate slider to adjust the rate of speech that voice uses.
Note: If the enhanced-quality voice is disabled, it is also removed from the device.
* Additional Voice Gender availability varies by country and region.