iPhone: About unlocking
Follow the instructions in this article to unlock your iPhone. Unlocking allows you to use your iPhone with different carriers.
Follow these instructions to unlock your iPhone:
- Check if your carrier offers unlocking. Only your carrier can unlock your iPhone.
- Contact your carrier and request an unlock.
- You may need to meet certain requirements to qualify for unlocking. This may take up to seven days.
- Once you receive confirmation that your iPhone unlock has been processed, back up your iPhone.
- Erase the contents of your iPhone.
- Complete the setup assistant and restore your backup.
Follow the steps below if you experience issues or receive the following error message displayed in iTunes or on your device:
"The SIM card inserted in this iPhone does not appear to be supported. Only compatible SIM cards from a supported carrier may be used to activate iPhone. Please insert the SIM card that came with your iPhone or visit a supported carrier store."