System requirements for OS X Lion and Mac OS X v10.6
Learn the system requirements for OS X Lion and Mac OS X v10.6.
OS X Lion system requirements
To use Lion, make sure your computer has the following:
- An Intel Core 2 Duo, Core i3, Core i5, Core i7, or Xeon processor
- Mac OS X v10.6.6 or later to install via the Mac App Store (v10.6.8 recommended)
- 7 GB of available disk space
- 2 GB of RAM
If your Mac does not meet these requirements, you will need to upgrade your Mac before installing Lion.
For more information, see OS X Lion - Technical Specifications.
Mac OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard system requirements
To install Snow Leopard for the first time, you must have a Mac with:
- An Intel processor
- An internal or external DVD drive, or DVD or CD Sharing
- At least 1 GB of RAM (additional RAM is recommended)
- A built-in display or a display connected to an Apple-supplied video card supported by your computer
- At least 5 GB of disk space available, or 7 GB of disk space if you install the developer tools
For more information, see the Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard Installation and Setup Guide.