iTunes: How to add a computer or iOS device to iTunes Match
Learn how to add a computer or iOS device to iTunes Match.
When you add a computer or iOS device to iTunes Match, your computer or device will be associated to the Apple ID being used for iTunes Match. Your Apple ID can have up to 10 devices and computers (combined) associated with it. For more information about associating a device or computer to an Apple ID, see this article.
To add a computer to iTunes Match
- Open the latest version of iTunes on the computer you intend to add. You can download the latest version of iTunes here.
- Sign in with the Apple ID you use with iTunes Match.
- Choose Store > Turn On iTunes Match.
- Click the Add This Computer button.
- When prompted, enter your Apple ID password.
- iTunes will automatically begin scanning your computer's library for matches.
- A status indicator will allow you to track progress. You may also manually pause and resume the process at any time by clicking the Stop or Start button.
- Once iTunes has completed matching and uploading your iTunes library, your music in iCloud will be integrated into your local music library. A download button will appear to the right of any content that you have in iCloud that doesn't already exist on your computer.
To add an iOS device to iTunes Match
- On your iOS device, go to Settings > Music.
- Note: iTunes Match requires iOS 5.0.1 or later; you can find the latest iOS software here.
- Tap the iTunes Match switch to On.
- To access your music in iCloud, open the Music Player app on your device.
- Your music in iCloud will be integrated into your local music library. A download button will appear to the right of any content that you have in iCloud that doesn't already exist on your device.
- When enabling iTunes Match on your iOS device, the music library on your iOS device will be deleted and then replaced with your music in iCloud.
- Syncing music with iTunes will be disabled while iTunes Match is enabled on your iOS device.
- By default, when adding an iOS device to iTunes Match, downloading over a cellular network is enabled1. To disable downloading over cellular for iTunes Match, choose Settings > Music > Use Cellular Data > Off.
1 Fees may be associated with downloading over cellular networks; contact your wireless carrier for details.