How to move an iWeb site previously published to MobileMe to another web hosting service
Publishing iWeb sites to MobileMe is no longer available. This article explains how to move an iWeb site, including one with a personal domain that you previously published to MobileMe, to another web hosting service.
- Before proceeding, you need an account with a web hosting provider that supports FTP (File Transfer Protocol). Make sure your web site is within the size limitation allowed by your host.
- The following iWeb features are no longer available: Hit counter, password protection, comments and attachments, personal MobileMe domains, and the Google Maps widget.
If you have iWeb '09 (version 3.0) or later, follow these steps from the Mac on which you published your web site. To check which version of iWeb you have choose iWeb > About iWeb.
- Open iWeb '09 and click the name of the site you want to publish in the left sidebar. The Site Publishing Settings window appears.
- In the Site Publishing Settings window, choose FTP Server from the Publish to drop-down menu.
- Enter the following information:
- Site name (optional).
- Contact email (optional).
- FTP server address (provided by your web hosting service).
- User name for publishing to your web hosting service.
- Directory and path (if required by your web hosting service).
- Protocol and port (if required by your web hosting service).
- Click the Test Connection button to make sure you have entered your information correctly.
- Enter the URL for your website.
- Click the Publish Site button.
For a video overview of publishing your site to an FTP server, watch this iWeb tutorial.
If you have an earlier version of iWeb, select the "Publish to Folder" option to publish your site to a local folder and then upload it to a third-party hosting service.
- Open iWeb and choose File > Publish to Folder. By default, iWeb saves the published results to a Sites folder in your Mac Home folder.
- Once your site is saved to the folder, you can upload it to your hosting service with an FTP publishing application.
Move a personal domain from MobileMe to another web hosting service
- Open a browser window and go to your web hosting service's site.
- Follow the site's instructions for configuring your personal domain. Note the CNAME (Canonical Name) record required by your provider.
- Go to your personal domain registrar's site and find the CNAME configuration section.
- Change the CNAME from web.me.com to your web hosting service's address (this change may take some time to process).