iPad: Transferring your cellular data plan to a new iPad 2
This article explains how to transfer an existing iPad Wi-Fi + 3G cellular data plan to a new iPad 2.
How to transfer a cellular data plan from an iPad Wi-Fi + 3G that uses a SIM card
You can transfer plans by moving the SIM card from your existing iPad into the new iPad:
- Turn off both devices:
- Hold the Sleep/Wake button until "slide to power off" appears, and then slide to turn off your device.
- Eject the SIM tray from your original iPad using the SIM-removal tool that came with the original iPad. Remove the micro-SIM card from the tray.
- Using the SIM-removal tool that came with your new iPad, eject the SIM tray on the new iPad.
- Remove the micro-SIM card from the tray and replace it with the one from the original iPad.
- Reinsert the SIM tray into the new iPad.
- Place the SIM card from the new iPad into the original iPad's SIM tray and reinsert it into the original iPad.
- Turn on each iPad and connect to iTunes to reactivate if necessary.
How to transfer a cellular data plan from one Verizon iPad Wi-Fi + 3G to another
To transfer service between two Verizon iPad Wi-Fi + 3G devices, contact Verizon:
- Contact Verizon at 800-786-8419 and explain that you need to transfer service to a new iPad.
- Once Verizon has transferred service, go to Settings > General > Reset > Reset Subscriber Service on the new iPad.
- Tap Reprovision Account.
- If your new iPad does not activate within two minutes, restart your iPad.
You cannot transfer a data plan from one carrier to another; you must set up a cellular data plan with the new carrier.
Example: You cannot transfer an AT&T cellular data plan to a Verizon iPad.
Find information on transferring a cellular data plan to an iPad (3rd generation).