About the Mac OS X v10.6.8 Update
The Mac OS X v10.6.8 Update is recommended for all users running Mac OS X Snow Leopard and includes general operating system fixes that enhance the stability, compatibility, and security of your Mac.
Updating your system
You should back up your system before installation; you can use Time Machine.
Do not interrupt the installation process once you have started to update your system. You may experience unexpected results if you have third-party system software modiﬁcations installed, or if you've modiﬁed the operating system through other means.
Choose Software Update from the Apple () menu to check for the latest Apple software via the Internet, including this update.
If your computer is not up-to-date, other software updates available for your computer may appear, which you should install. When Software Updates states "Your software is up to date," you can be sure that all available updates have been installed.
Note that an update's size may vary from computer-to-computer when installed using Software Update. Also, some updates must be installed prior to others, so you should run Software Update more than once to make sure you have all available updates.
You can manually download the update installer. This is a useful option when you need to update multiple computers but only want to download the update once. These versions of the standalone installers are available from Apple Support Downloads.
- Enhancements to the Mac App Store to get your Mac ready to upgrade to Mac OS X Lion.
- Resolves an issue that may cause Preview to unexpectedly quit.
- Improves support for IPv6.
- Improves VPN reliability.
- Identifies and removes known variants of MacDefender malware.
- Corrects timezone data in iCal for Lisbon-Portugal.
- Adds the ability to use Kerberos authentication to a web proxy server.
- Fixes an issue when saving documents from Xcode or TextEdit when using an NFS home directory.
- Fixes an issue when importing certain media files into Final Cut Pro.
- Includes RAW image compatibility for additional digital cameras.
- Certain network printers that pause print jobs immediately, and do not complete (Mac OS X v10.6.8 Supplemental Update)
- System audio that stops working when using HDMI or optical audio out (Mac OS X v10.6.8 Supplemental Update)
Mac OS X v10.6.8 also includes fixes provided in the Mac OS X v10.6.7 Snow Leopard Font Update:
- Addresses an issue in which some OpenType fonts don't display correctly in certain applications.
- Resolves issues printing from Preview.
- Addresses an issue with PDF files not opening in third-party PDF viewing applications.
- Resolves invalid font errors when printing to PostScript printers.
For information about the security content of this update, please visit article HT1222.