Enable Automatic Downloads
Automatically download purchases from the App Store, iBooks Store, or iTunes Store to your computers and iOS devices.
Content that's eligible for Automatic Downloads will download automatically to iOS devices and iTunes-authorized computers associated with your Apple ID after you turn on the feature.
If you're using Family Sharing, your family's content won't automatically download to your devices. Only content that you've purchased with your Apple ID will download automatically.
Requirements for Automatic Downloads
In order to turn on Automatic Downloads, you need:
- An iTunes Store account in a country that support iTunes in the Cloud.
- iTunes 10.3.3. or later.
- iOS 4.3.3 or later.
- To sign in to both your computer and your iOS device with the same Apple ID.
Turn on Automatic Downloads
On your computer
Music, Movies, TV Shows, and Apps
- Open iTunes.
- If you haven't authorized your computer, choose Store > Authorize This Computer.
- Open the iTunes Store Preferences:
- Mac: Choose iTunes > Preferences. Then click the Store tab.
- Windows: Choose Edit > Preferences. Then click the Store tab. Learn how to turn on iTunes menus in Windows 7 and 8.
- Select the content that you want to automatically download. If you can't select these options, you need to sign in to the iTunes Store with your Apple ID.
In OS X Mavericks v10.9 or later and iTunes 11.1 or later, the Automatic Downloads preference for books is in the iBooks for Mac app. To turn on automatic downloads for books:
- Open the iBooks for Mac app.
- Choose iBooks > Preferences > Store.
- Select "Download new purchases automatically."
On your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch
- Tap Settings > iTunes & App Store.
- If prompted, sign in with your Apple ID.
- Tap the content that you want to automatically download. If Books isn't listed, download iBooks from the App Store.
You can turn Automatic Downloads on or off over your cellular network on an iPhone or iPad Wi-Fi + 3G. Go to Settings > Store and turn Cellular Data on or off. Cellular Data downloads are limited to a file size of 50 MB or smaller.
If your iOS device has an Internet connection and you enabled push notifications, the content should automatically download. On an associated device that doesn't support Push Notifications, the specified content should automatically appear in the download queue where you can manually start the download within iTunes.
Music, movie and TV shows that you buy on your Apple TV will also automatically download to a Mac or PC running iTunes 12 on which you've turned on Automatic Downloads.
Automatic Downloads for music and downloading past music, movie, or TV show purchases might not be available in all countries. Find out if iTunes in the Cloud is available in your country.
Automatic Downloads for movies and TV shows is only available through iTunes 12. Automatic Downloads can't be enabled for video on iOS.