Archived - MobileMe: Setting up syncing notes between iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and Mac
With iOS 4 and MobileMe, you can keep notes in sync between Mac OS X Mail and the Notes application on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.
- It is strongly recommended that you upgrade to iOS 4.2.1 or later.
- Notes syncing via IMAP is available for iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, and iPod touch (3rd and 4th generation). If you have an older device, refer to the device user guide for information about cable syncing as an alternate way to sync Notes.
On your iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad
With iOS 4, MobileMe lets you keep notes in sync between the MobileMe Notes application on your iPhone, iPod touch, iPad, and Mac OS X Mail. Over-the-air syncing of notes occurs whenever you open the Notes app on your iPhone, iPod touch, iPad, or in Mac OS X Mail. In order for notes created on your iOS devices to appear in Mac OS X Mail on your computer, you must first set up your MobileMe account within Mac OS X Mail.
To enable MobileMe notes syncing on your iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad, tap Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > MobileMe. Tap Account to enter your MobileMe account information if you have not already done so. On the MobileMe screen, tap the Notes switch to turn on over-the-air syncing.
Make sure that all new notes you create on your iPhone are created in MobileMe.
From the Home screen, tap Settings > Notes > Default Account. Set the Default Account to MobileMe.
Note: The Notes Account selector is only available when you are syncing iTunes with USB or you have multiple accounts.
On your Mac
To make sure that all your notes are saved to MobileMe and accessible on your iPhone or iPod touch, open the Mail application on your Mac.
- From the Mail menu, choose Preferences and then click the Composing tab.
- Change your "Create notes and to dos in" setting by selecting your MobileMe account from the drop-down menu.
- Close the Mail Preferences window.
Move the notes that are saved On My Mac to MobileMe in order to access them from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch:
- From the Mail application on your Mac, click the triangle next to Notes. Then, click the On My Mac notes folder, if you have one.
- Select the existing notes you want to sync and drag-and-drop them into your MobileMe notes folder.
- Local notes, such as those in the "From My PC" or "On My iPhone" folders, and notes stored in other IMAP accounts (Gmail for example), are not synced with MobileMe Notes. Only notes in the MobileMe folder will be automatically synced over-the-air.
- Notes are not synced from Microsoft Outlook or Microsoft Exchange via MobileMe.