iOS: Syncing Notes
iOS can sync Notes over the air using iCloud or an IMAP email account. This article explains certain sync behaviors and shows how to enable Notes syncing.
iPad, iPhone, iPod touch
To sync Notes over the air you need one of the following devices:
- iPhone 3GS or later
- iPod touch (3rd generation or later)
- iPad (all models)
Notes are associated with an IMAP email account or iCloud account. To sync Notes, enable Notes for each account in Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars or Settings > iCloud.
Tips when syncing Notes
- When you enable Notes sync for an email account, the Notes folder will no longer appear as a mailbox in the Mail app. To create or view notes, use the Notes app instead.
- If notes are not syncing as expected, check the following:
- Ensure that Notes is enabled for that account in Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars or Settings > iCloud.
- In Notes on your iOS device or Mac, verify that your notes are not stored in a local folder. Example: On My iPhone or On My Mac. If you have notes in these folders, you will need to copy or transfer them to iCloud or IMAP to sync with your other devices.
Syncing Notes with iTunes and OS X Mountain Lion v10.8
You can sync with the Notes app using IMAP or iCloud. Syncing Notes using iTunes is no longer supported on OS X v10.8 and later.
Syncing Notes both over the air and with iTunes can result in duplicate notes appearing in the Notes application. Use the following steps to resolve the issue:
- Connect your device and select it in iTunes.
- Click the Info pane and deselect the option to Sync Notes.
- When prompted, select Delete Notes to remove the duplicates from the device.
If you want to sync notes with iTunes instead of using the over-the-air feature, disable Notes sync for the account using Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars or Settings > iCloud.
Unable to sync notes with Outlook
If notes are not syncing from Outlook, verify that you do not have any notes with no content or subject in Outlook. These notes can prevent Outlook from syncing as expected; removing them or adding a subject should allow syncing to resume.