About the 2009 Aluminum Keyboard Firmware Update 1.0
Learn about the 2009 Aluminum Keyboard Firmware Update 1.0.
Apple Wireless Keyboard (2009)
The 2009 Aluminum Keyboard Firmware Update 1.0 improves battery performance of the 2009 aluminum Apple Wireless Keyboard when used in combination with other Bluetooth devices (such as Apple Magic Mouse and some Bluetooth headsets).
Note: Make sure your wireless keyboard is powered on and paired with your computer before starting this update.
Quit all open applications, then download the update.
- The downloader will place the disk image with an installer in your Downloads folder or in the location specified in the General tab under Safari > Preferences.
- If you downloaded the disk image via Safari, Safari will notify you that an application is in the image. Click OK to continue.
- If "Open safe files after downloading" is enabled in Safari preferences, the disk image file will mount by itself. If that preference is not enabled in Safari, double-click the disk image to mount it.
Install the update. Note: you will need the administrator password for the installation.
- Some USB and FireWire devices may prevent firmware updates from installing correctly; disconnect non-essential devices and use only an Apple keyboard and mouse to apply the update.
- Your computer's power cord must be connected and plugged into a working power source.
- Save all open documents and quit all other applications.
- Double-click the WirelessKybdFirmwareUpdate.pkg.
- Read and follow the onscreen instructions that appear. You will need to click on the lock icon and enter your administrator password to select a keyboard; select the keyboard and click Update.
Important: Do not power off or otherwise interrupt the keyboard or computer while the update is taking place.
- An Update Complete dialog appears when finished. Click OK to continue. You will need to restart your computer to complete the update process.
If you have more keyboards to update, locate Aluminum Wireless Keyboard Firmware Update in the /Applications/Utilities folder and run the update again.
Follow these steps to determine if the update has already been applied to a wireless keyboard:
- Choose About this Mac from the Apple () menu.
- Click More Info... This will open System Profiler.
- In the Hardware section of System Profiler, select Bluetooth.
- Locate the keyboard in the list of Bluetooth devices.
- Look in the Firmware Version field: If the version number is 80, the keyboard has been successfully updated. After you update to Mac OS X v10.6.3, the firmware version appears as 0x50.