iPod nano (5th generation): Enabling and updating VoiceOver
Enabling VoiceOver in iTunes for iPod nano (5rd generation) allows you to hear the names of songs, artists, and playlists spoken when listening to content on your iPod nano. If you have the Apple Earphones with Remote and Mic or the In-Ear Headphones with Remote and Mic, you can also use VoiceOver to navigate playlists.
You can enable VoiceOver when you initially set up your iPod with iTunes, or later, in the Summary tab for iPod settings in iTunes.
When you select the option to enable VoiceOver in the iPod Setup Assistant or in the Summary tab, you will be guided through the process of installing the VoiceOver Kit. Review the steps below to learn more about this process.
If VoiceOver is already enabled, use Apple Software Update to check for and install updates. Windows users can find more information on Apple Software Update.
- Select the VoiceOver option, then click Done in the iPod Setup Assistant or Apply in the Summary tab.
- Apple Software Update will prompt you to review the information about VoiceOver. Click Next.
- You will then be shown the Software License Agreement. Click Agree.
- You will be prompted to authorize the installation of the VoiceOver Kit:
- In Mac OS X, you will be prompted for an administrator user name and password (or just a password if you are already logged in as an administrator).
- In Windows Vista and Windows 7, you will be prompted to authorize the installation of "iPod Speech Support" with a prompt to Cancel or Allow (if you are using an account with administrative privileges), or to enter the password for a selected administrative account (if you are using a Limited user account).
- In Windows XP, you will be prompted to enter the username and password for an account with administrative privileges if you are using a Limited user account. If you are already logged in with an administrator account, then there is no additional prompt).
- After the VoiceOver Kit is installed, iTunes will generate VoiceOver messages that will be synced to iPod nano.
VoiceOver is available in the following languages:
Chinese (Cantonese and Mandarin), Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swedish, Turkish.
To select a default language for VoiceOver content
- If you are setting up your iPod nano for the first time, or after a restore, you can set your language from within iTunes by following these instructions.
- If you have already set up your iPod nano, then you can set your language directly from your iPod by following these instructions.
To select a VoiceOver language for individual songs, audiobooks, or podcasts, review this support document.