iPhone and iPod: Understanding Genius Mixes
Learn about Genius Mixes on your iPhone or iPod.
iPhone, iPod classic 160GB (Late 2009), iPod nano (5th generation), iPod nano (6th generation), iPod shuffle (4th generation), iPod touch
Genius Mixes are preselected compilations of songs from your iTunes library that can be synced to your iPhone, iPod touch, iPod shuffle (4th generation), iPod classic 160GB (Late 2009), or iPod nano (5th and 6th generation) when you enable Genius in iTunes. To learn more about Genius you can see this article, or open iTunes and choose Help > iTunes Help. Then type "Genius" or "Genius Mixes."
To sync Genius Mixes from iTunes to your iPhone, iPod touch, iPod classic 160GB (Late 2009), iPod shuffle (4th generation), or iPod nano (5th and 6th generation), you can either:
1. Sync your entire iTunes music library to the device, including all playlists, artists, genres, Genius playlists, and Genius Mixes*
2. Sync selected playlists, artists, and genres, as well as selected Genius playlists and Genius Mixes
To sync selected Genius playlists and Genius Mixes to your device:
- In iTunes, select your device in the device list and click the Music tab (or button, depending on the version of iTunes being used).
- Check Sync Music, and then choose "Selected playlists, artists, and genres."
- Under Playlists, select the Genius playlists and Genius Mixes you want.
- Click Apply.
- Genius Mixes can only be synced automatically, so you won't be able to add Genius Mixes to your device if "Sync only checked songs and videos" is checked in the iTunes Summary pane.
- If you select any Genius Mixes to sync with your device, iTunes may select and sync additional songs from your library that you didn’t select.
- If you choose to sync your entire music library, iTunes will sync all your Genius playlists and Genius Mixes to the device.
* If there is not enough storage space to sync all of your music, Genius Mixes will not sync.