Archived - About the Mac OS X Server v10.6.1 Update
This software updates Mac OS X Server v10.6 to v10.6.1.
Important: Read before installing.
- Do not interrupt the installation process. If a power outage or other interruption occurs during installation, use the standalone installer (see below) from Apple Support Downloads to update.
- You may experience unexpected results if you have third-party system software modiﬁcations installed, or if you've modiﬁed the operating system through other means. (This does not apply to normal application software installation.)
- This update can be installed on non-startup volumes, but you should only do this if the current startup volume has already been updated to Mac OS X Server version 10.6.1. The simplest way to avoid issues from an improper installation is to start up from the volume that you wish to update.
There are three ways to update to Mac OS X Server version 10.6.1:
- Use Software Update
- Install from a standalone installer
- Install on a remote server via Server Admin or the softwareupdate command-line utility
Software Update installation
Software Update may have referred you to this article. Because some updates are prerequisites for others, you may need to use Software Update more than once to obtain all available updates.
If you want to download and manually install the update, an installer is available from Apple Support Downloads. This a useful option if you need to update multiple computers but only want to download the update once.
If you need to install the update on a remote server, you can do so using the Server Admin application or the softwareupdate command-line tool.
- Resolves an issue that could cause Server Admin or Server Assistant to report a duplicate serial number in use on a server with multiple network interfaces.
- Improves reliability of services that use Grand Central Dispatch.
- Improves Mac OS X Server security. For more information about the security content of Mac OS X Server v10.6.1 see this article.
- Mac OS X Server v10.6.1 also includes all other improvements delivered in the client Mac OS X v10.6.1 Update.