About the Mac OS X v10.5.8 Update
The Mac OS X v10.5.8 Update is recommended for Mac OS X v10.5 users and includes general operating system fixes that enhance the stability, compatibility and security of your Mac.
Mac OS X 10.5, Mac OS X 10.5.8, Mac OS X v10.5.1, v10.5.2, v10.5.3, v10.5.4, v10.5.5, v10.5.6, v10.5.7, AirPort, Bluetooth, iCal, Safari 4
You should back up your system before installation; you can use Time Machine.
Do not interrupt the installation process once you have started to update your system. You may experience unexpected results if you have third-party system software modiﬁcations installed, or if you've modiﬁed the operating system through other means.
To update to Mac OS X v10.5.8, use Software Update or the standalone installer.
Choose Software Update from the Apple menu to automatically check for the latest Apple software via the Internet, including this update. If your computer is not up-to-date, other software updates available for your computer may appear, which you should install. Note that an update's size may vary from computer to computer when installed using Software Update. Also, some updates must be installed prior to others, so you should run Software Update more than once to make sure you have all available updates.
Download the update installer and run it manually. This is a useful option when you need to update multiple computers but only want to download the update once. These versions of the standalone installers are available from Apple Support Downloads.
What's included in this update
For detailed information about the security content of this update, please visit this website.
- Upgrades Safari to version 4.0.2.
- Improves the accuracy of full history search in Safari 4.
- Resolves an issue in which certain resolutions might not appear in the Display pane in System Preferences.
- Dragging an Aperture image into Automator now invokes an Aperture action instead of incorrectly invoking an iPhoto action.
- Resolves an issue that could prevent importing of large photo and movie files from digital cameras.
- Improves overall Bluetooth reliability with external devices, USB webcams and printers.
- Addresses an issue that could cause extended startup times.
- Improves iCal reliability.
- Addresses data reliability issues with iDisk.
- Improves overall reliability with AFP.
- Improves overall reliability with Managed Client.
- Improves compatibility and reliability for joining AirPort networks.
- Improves Sync Service reliability.
- Includes additional RAW image support for several third-party cameras.
- Improves compatibility with some external USB hard drives.
- Includes latest security fixes.
- Resolves an issue with DictionaryTrainer and Japanese Language Analysis.