AirPort Extreme/Express, Time Capsule: How to find the serial number
Learn how to find the serial number of an AirPort Extreme, AirPort Express, or Time Capsule.
Here's how you can find your serial number:
Use AirPort Utility
You can use AirPort Utility to find the serial number of any 802.11n-based AirPort base station, AirPort Express 802.11g, or Time Capsule.
AirPort Utility 6
- Open AirPort Utility by selecting the Launchpad > Utilities folder.
- If no password is required, select your AirPort product. The serial number will be listed in the pop-up window.
- If a password is required, enter the password and click OK. Select your AirPort product, the serial number will be listed in the pop-up window.
AirPort Utility 5
- Open AirPort Utility (in the Utilities folder).
- Select your AirPort product.
- Click Manual Setup.
- Click AirPort in the Toolbar.
- Click the Summary tab.
Look on the surface of the device
Depending on your model, the serial number is located either on the bottom or side of the device. Refer to the images below.
Time Capsule and AirPort Extreme Base Stations (802.11n)
The serial number is located on a gray strip on the bottom of the device:
AirPort Express 802.11n (2nd Generation)
The serial number is located on the bottom of the device:
AirPort Express 802.11n (1st Generation)
The serial number is located on the side of the device, next to the AC power plug:
AirPort Extreme Base Station (earlier than 802.11n)
The serial number is located on a label on the bottom of the device:
Check the original product packaging
If you still have the original packaging for the product, you can find the serial number on the barcode label that is affixed to the packaging.
Look at the original receipt (or invoice)
Some retailers may include the serial number of your AirPort on the receipt.
Learn how to find the serial number of other Apple hardware products.