Send messages with your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch
With the Messages app, you can send messages to anyone using SMS/MMS or iMessage. Here are answers to frequently asked questions about sending, deleting, and using Messages.
What's the difference between SMS/MMS and iMessage?
SMS/MMS lets you send text messages and photos to other cellular phones or devices. iMessage lets you send text messages and photos to another iOS device over Wi-Fi, without worrying about text-messaging charges (cellular data charges may apply).
What do I need to use SMS/MMS and iMessage?
Here's what you need to use SMS/MMS and iMessage:
- SMS/MMS: A text-messaging plan. Contact your carrier for more information.
- iMessage: An iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch with iOS 5 or later.
How do I turn on iMessage?
Go to Settings > Messages and turn on iMessage.
Get help if you can't use your telephone number or Apple ID with iMessage.
How do I send a message?
- In Messages, tap .
- Then enter a phone number or email address, or tap and choose a contact.
- Type in your message, or tap the camera icon to attach a photo or video, or tap to send an audio message. Tap Send to finish.
You can send photos, videos, or links directly from many apps by tapping .
How can I send a message to a group?
To send a message to more than one person at a time, send a group message.
How do I know if my message used SMS/MMS or iMessage?
You can tell which type of message you're sending by the color of the Send button and text bubble.
- SMS/MMS: Send button and text bubbles are green.
- iMessage: Send button and text bubbles are blue.
Why does my message have a red exclamation mark next to it?
A red exclamation mark appears if your recipient didn't get the message.
Tap the exclamation mark to try to send the message again.
How do I forward a message?
- To forward a message, tap and hold the message bubble, then tap More.
- Tap to select the message you want to forward, then tap and select the person to send it to.
How do I delete a message?
- To delete a message, tap and hold the message bubble, then tap More.
- Tap Delete All to delete all the messages. Or tap to select the messages you want to delete, then tap .
After you delete a message, you can recover it only by restoring from a backup.
How do I delete an entire conversation?
Open the list of conversations. Then swipe from right to left on the conversation you want to delete.
You can also tap Edit and then tap :
After you delete a conversation, you can recover it only by restoring from a backup.
How can I back up my messages?
iOS automatically saves your messages when you back up with iTunes or iCloud. If you ever lose your messages or switch to a new phone, your messages will be restored along with your other information.
What options do I have for keeping messages?
You can keep messages forever, for one year, or for 30 days. Go to Settings > Messages > Keep Messages to make your choice.
Can I email or print my messages instead of forwarding them?
While you can't email or print directly from the Messages app, you can do any of these:
- Copy and paste the message text into an email and send it.
- Copy and paste the message text into a note in the Notes app and print it.
- For long message threads, take a screenshot and then email or print the screenshot from the Photos app.
How do I save a photo from a message?
Tap the photo, then tap .
How do I send an audio or video message?
Learn how to send an audio or video message with iOS 8 or later.
What can I do about spam or unwanted messages?
How can I link my iPhone number with Messages on my iPad, iPod touch, or Messages for Mac?
When you sign in to Messages with your Apple ID on your iPhone, you link your phone number to your Apple ID. If you then sign in to Messages with the same Apple ID on your iPad, iPod touch, or Mac, Messages will link that device to your phone number as well.
Can I turn off notifications for a single conversation?
Yes. To mute notifications for a conversation in iOS 8, tap the conversation, tap Details, and turn on Do Not Disturb.
How do I share my location with someone else?
In iOS 8, tap Details > Share My Location and add a specific length of time. The person you’re messaging with can see where you are by tapping Details. You can also send them a map of your current location—just go to Details > Send My Current Location.
To turn Share My Location on or off, or to select the device that determines your location, go to Settings > iCloud > Advanced > Share My Location.
How can I see all of the attachments for a conversation?
Open the conversation and tap Details. You'll see the attachments at the bottom of the screen, with the newest attachments at the top of the list. Tap the attachment to open it. Tap and hold to bring up additional options, including Copy and Delete.
How do I turn off iMessage?
Go to Settings > Messages and turn off iMessage.