About the MacBook Pro Graphics Firmware Update 1.0
You should download and install the MacBook Pro Graphics Firmware Update 1.0 on your MacBook Pro (17-inch, Early 2009) computer. The update addresses the possibility of vertical lines or distorted graphics on the display.
There are two parts to this process:
- Installing the firmware update application onto your hard drive.
- Using the firmware update application to update your graphics subsystem firmware.
Before you begin, your MacBook Pro must be plugged into a working power source, and the battery must be charged to at least 50%. Some USB and FireWire devices may prevent firmware updates from installing correctly. Disconnect non-essential devices for the best install experience.
This update requires a Macintosh-formatted disk or partition and an administrator password.
- Close any open applications.
- Download the MacBook Pro Graphics Firmware Update 1.0. The download will place a disk image that contains an installer into your default download location.
Note: If you downloaded the update using Safari, Safari may notify you that an application is contained in the image. Click OK to continue.
- If "Open safe files after downloading" is selected in Safari preferences, the disk image file will mount by itself. If that preference is not enabled in Safari, double-click the disk image to mount it.
- If the disk image does not open by itself, double-click the MBP Graphics FW Update disk image to open it.
- Double-click the MBPGraphicsFWUpdate1.0.pkg file.
- Read the introduction, then click Continue.
- After reading the licensing agreement, click Continue.
- To agree to its terms, click Agree.
- Click Install to install the update application to the folder path /Applications/Utilities.
- You will be asked for your administrator password. Enter the password and click OK.
- After the software successfully installs to your hard drive, an Install Succeeded message appears. Click Close to start the updater application.
- Read the onscreen firmware update installation instructions, then click Restart in the MacBook Pro Graphics Firmware Update window and wait for your computer to restart. If asked to re-enter your administrator password, enter the password and click OK.
- After the restart, the firmware update starts automatically. A status bar indicates the progress of the update.
Important: Do not interrupt the update. Do not press any keys on the keyboard or hold down the trackpad or mouse button during the update. The installation may take several minutes.
- Your computer will restart automatically when the update completes, and a dialog will confirm your firmware is now up-to-date.
To determine if your MacBook Pro (17-inch, Early 2009) has successfully installed this update, follow these steps:
- From the Apple () menu choose About this Mac.
- Click More Info... to open the System Profiler.
- In the Hardware section of the System Profile, select Graphics/Displays.
- If you have successfully applied the update, the gMux Version should be 1.7.10.