About the Mini DisplayPort to VGA adapter firmware update
This firmware update addresses possible intermittent flickering and compatibility issues. In some cases those issues may include no video on some external monitors when using the Mini DisplayPort to VGA adapter with your Mini DisplayPort-enabled Mac.
Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter
There are two parts to this process:
- Installing the Mini DisplayPort to VGA firmware update application onto your hard drive
- Using the Mini DisplayPort to VGA firmware update application to update your Mini DisplayPort to VGA adapter's firmware
Before you begin, make sure your computer is plugged in to an AC power source.
Some USB and FireWire devices may prevent firmware updates from installing correctly. If you are having trouble installing this update, disconnect non-essential devices and use only an Apple keyboard, mouse, display, Mini DisplayPort to VGA adapter, and external monitor.
Note: This update requires a Macintosh-formatted disk or partition, an administrator password, and 29.8 MB of free space.
- Close all applications except your web browser.
- Download the Mini DisplayPort to VGA Firmware Update. The download will place a disk image that contains an installer onto your Desktop.
Note: If you download the update using Safari, Safari will notify you that an application is contained in the image. Click OK to continue. If the "Open safe files after downloading" option is selected in Safari preferences, the disk image file will mount by itself. If that preference is not enabled in Safari, double-click the disk image to mount it.
- Double-click the "Mini DP VGA Firmware Update" disk image to open it.
- Double-click the MiniDPVGAFirmwareUpdate.pkg file.
- Read the "Welcome" screen, then click Continue.
- Read the "Important Information" screen, then click Continue.
- After reading the Software License Agreement, click Continue.
- To agree to the license terms, click Agree.
- Select the volume where you want to install the update and click Continue. By default the firmware will install to the folder path /Applications/Utilities.
- Verify that you have enough disk space (29.8 MB) and click Install.
- You will be asked for your administrator password. Enter the password and click OK.
- By default, "Mini DP VGA Update" will install to the /Applications/Utilities folder.
- After the software successfully installs on your hard drive, an "Installation Completed Successfully" message appears. Click Close.
- If it is not already running, open the Mini DP VGA Firmware Update from the /Applications/Utilities folder.
- Read the onscreen firmware update installation instructions, then click Restart.
Note: The firmware update application may appear behind the installation window.
- Enter an administrator password and click OK.
- Your Mac will restart, and you may hear a long tone. The screen may appear black for up to a minute or more while the firmware updates. Do not turn the Mac or external monitor off while this is happening. When the update finishes writing the firmware, it will restart your Mac again.
- When the update is complete, a "Firmware successfully installed" appears. Click Quit.
Your Mini DisplayPort to VGA adapter is now updated.
Important: If a message appears indicating that the updater cannot find a supported Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter, check the following:
- Make sure your adapter is plugged in and attached to a working external monitor, then click Retry.
- If you continue to get this message, the external monitor may not work with the updater. If available, try using a different external monitor or call Apple for additional assistance.
- If the updater application reports that your Mini DisplayPort to VGA adapter is already up-to-date, you computer does not require this update.
If you have more than one Mini DisplayPort to VGA adapter that requires this update, make sure to connect only one at a time.