Archived - About the Mac OS X 10.5.7 Update
The Mac OS X 10.5.7 Update is recommended for Mac OS X v10.5 Leopard and includes general operating system fixes that enhance the stability, compatibility and security of your Mac. For detailed information about security updates, please visit this website.
Important: Read below before installing.
- Back up your computer prior to installing any updates.
- Quit any open applications before starting the installation.
- Do not interrupt the installation process.
- You may experience unexpected results if you have third-party system software modiﬁcations installed, or if you've modiﬁed the operating system through other means. (This does not apply to normal application software installation.)
- If issues occur during installation--for example, if Software Update quits unexpectedly--please see this article.
Mac OS X 10.5, Mac OS X 10.5.1, Mac OS X 10.5.2, Mac OS X 10.5.3, Mac OS X 10.5.4, Mac OS X 10.5.5, Mac OS X 10.5.6
Installing the update
To update to Mac OS X 10.5.7, use Software Update or the standalone installer. You only need to use one of these methods to update your computer.
Choose Software Update from the Apple menu to automatically check for the latest Apple software using the Internet, including this update. (Software Update might have linked you to this article to learn more about the update.) If your computer is not up-to-date, other software updates available for your computer may appear which you should install. Note that an update's size may vary from computer to computer when installed using Software Update. Also, some updates must be installed prior to others, so you should run Software Update more than once to make sure you have all available updates.
Download the update installer and run it manually. This is a useful option when you need to update multiple computers but only want to download the update once. These versions of the standalone installers are available from Apple Support Downloads.
The Mac OS X 10.5.7 Update is recommended for all versions of Mac OS X 10.5 through 10.5.6.
- The delta update lets you update from Mac OS X 10.5.6 to 10.5.7
- The combo update lets you update from Mac OS X 10.5, 10.5.1, 10.5.2, 10.5.3, 10.5.4, 10.5.5, or 10.5.6 to 10.5.7
- Includes latest security fixes.
- Includes additional RAW image support for several third-party cameras.
- Improves performance of video playback and cursor movements for recent Macs with NVIDIA graphics.
- Resolves an issue with Dvorak keyboard layout in Mac OS X 10.5.6.
- Improves the reliability and accuracy of Unit Converter, Stocks, Weather and Movies Dashboard widgets.
- Addresses a situation that may cause issues when logging into Gmail.
- Improves reliability when syncing contacts with Yahoo!.
- Expansion Slot Utility for Mac Pro now reports the correct PCIe slot configuration.
- Improves network performance when connected to certain Ethernet switches that have Flow Control enabled.
- Improves stability for network home directories hosted by Mac OS X Server v10.4.
- Improves Finder search results for network volumes that may not support Spotlight searching, such as Mac OS X Server v10.4, Time Capsule, and third-party AFP servers.
- Includes several improvements to Directory Service and Client Management.
- Improves wireless keyboard and mouse connection performance.
- Improves overall reliability with CalDav.
- Improves reliability when automatically syncing with MobileMe.
- Addresses reliability and sync issues with Notes.
- Addresses an issue that may cause the BCC field to populate incorrectly when redirecting a message from the Sent mailbox.
- Improves consistency with Parental Controls and application restrictions.
- Addresses an issue in which time limits may not work properly with full-screen games and Fast User Switching.
- Resolves an issue that may cause certain third-party printers to print to the incorrect paper tray.
- Non-admin user accounts can now be allowed to add and remove printers by enabling Parental Controls and selecting "Can administer printers".
- Includes other printing reliability and stability improvements.