Archived - MacBook (13-inch, Aluminum, Late 2008) and MacBook Pro (15-inch, Late 2008): Recovering from an interrupted trackpad firmware update
If the MacBook, MacBook Pro Trackpad Firmware Update 1.0 is interrupted during installation, your trackpad may be temporarily unusable.
Run the firmware update application again. The application is located in /Applications/Utilities.
To navigate to this folder, attach a USB mouse, then perform the following procedure:
- Locate the Trackpad Firmware Update in /Applications/Utilities.
- Double-click on the application.
- Click Update to start the firmware update.
A progress bar appears and the Trackpad firmware updates. When the update is complete, you will see "The update completed successfully" in the Status field of the updater application.
- Click Quit.
- The trackpad will recover when you restart your computer. Go to the Apple menu and select Restart.
Alternatively, you can use the keyboard to navigate to the application and run it again with the following procedure:
- Click the Tab key until your Macintosh hard drive is highlighted (the default name is Macintosh HD).
- Hold down the Command key and press the "O" key to open the hard drive.
- Click the right arrow to highlight the Applications folder.
- Click the right arrow again to move to Applications, then click the down arrow to highlight the Utilities folder.
- Click the right arrow again to move to Utilities, then click the down arrow until the trackpad firmware update is highlighted.
- Hold down the Command key and press the "O" key to open the application.
- Press Return to start the update.
- Enter your administrator password and press Return.
A progress bar appears and the trackpad firmware updates. When the update is complete, you will see "The update completed successfully" in the Status field of the updater application. Ensure this message appears before proceeding to the next step.
- Hold down the Command key and press Q to quit the firmware update application.
- Hold down the Control and fn keys at the same time and press F2 to select the Apple menu.
- Click the down arrow to to select Restart.
- Press Return to initiate a restart. You'll see a countdown message indicating your computer will restart in 1 minute. To restart immediately, press Return.
- If you let the timer expire, your computer will restart by itself. After your computer has restart, your trackpad should function normally.