About the Xsan 2.1.1 Update
This article describes the Xsan 2.1.1 Update.
Xsan 2, Xsan 2.1
Important: Read before installing
- Xsan 2.0 or 2.1 and Mac OS X 10.5 or Mac OS X Server 10.5, or later, is required in order to install Xsan 2.1.1. Mac OS X 10.5.5 or Mac OS X Server 10.5.5 or later is recommended for this update.
- Be sure that all Metadata Controllers (MDCs) are updated before you make any configuration changes.
- Before installing, please review the Xsan 2 Migration Guide.
- During installation, do not change any Xsan settings, whether using Xsan Admin or a command-line tool.
Metadata Controller (MDC) software version
Your MDCs must always have software versions (both Xsan and Mac OS) that are the same or more recent than the most recent client versions. For example, if any client in your Xsan network is using Xsan 2.1.1 with Mac OS X 10.5.5 or later, then your metadata controllers (MDCs) must also be updated to Xsan 2.1.1 on the same version of Mac OS X.
- Xserve or Xserve G5
- Mac Pro
- Power Mac G5 (any)
- 2GB RAM
Storage network requirements
- Apple Fibre Channel PCI, PCI-X, or PCI-E Card
Software Update installation
Software Update may have referred you to this document. Because some updates are prerequisites for others, you may need to use Software Update more than once to get all available updates.
A standalone installer is available from Apple Support Downloads.
If you need to install the update on a remote computer, use the softwareupdate command-line tool.
What's new in Xsan 2.1.1
Xsan 2.1.1 Update
The Xsan 2.1.1 Update improves reliability and is recommended for all systems running Mac OS X 10.5, or Mac OS X Server version 10.5 or later. It includes:
- All the improvements included in the Xsan 2.1 update, documented in this article
- Filesystem reliability improvements
- Improved filesystem performance when accessing a large number of files
- Improved search performance for files in deeply-nested directories
Xsan Admin 2.1.1 Update
The Xsan Admin 2.1.1 update delivers overall improved reliability for remotely administering, configuring and maintaining Xsan deployments. It includes:
- All the improvements included in the Xsan Admin 2.1 update, documented in this article
- Compatibility with the Xsan 2.1.1 filesystem
Xsan 2.1 Uninstaller
The Xsan 2.1 Uninstaller removes Xsan, the Xsan Admin application, and Xsan documentation files. The Xsan 2.1 Uninstaller is the appropriate version to use when uninstalling Xsan 2.1.1 installations and can be obtained from Apple Downloads.
Note: Before removing Xsan, you should back up all of your data and volumes.
Xsan 2.1.1 Documentation
Xsan 2.1.1 administrators can find Xsan 2 documentation here.