How to back up iCal calendar data
Learn how to back up your iCal calendar data.
To back up your iCal data locally, you can:
- Save an iCal Archive on your hard drive
- Export an individual calendar to a file on your hard drive (use this method for any CalDAV calendars)
Create an iCal Archive
Make a backup copy of your iCal data and save it on your hard drive (as an .icbu file).
- For Mac OS X v10.6 and v10.5, see iCal 5.x: Backing up or restoring calendars.
Export individual calendar(s)
In iCal's sidebar, select the calendar you want to back up. You may wish to do this before troubleshooting an issue with a specific calendar, for example. Use this method for any CalDAV calendars.
- From the File menu, choose Export.
- Save the file. It will be saved as an .ics file.
- Repeat the process for each calendar you want to back up.
Tip: If you want to back up your entire hard drive, including any iCal.icbu or .ics files you've already saved on your drive, you can use Time Machine.