How to back up iCal calendar data
Learn how to back up your iCal calendar data.
iCal 1.x, iCal 2.x, iCal 3.x, iCal 4.x
To back up your iCal data locally, you can:
- Save an iCal Archive on your hard drive
- Export an individual calendar to a file on your hard drive (use this method for any CalDAV calendars)
Create an iCal Archive
Make a backup copy of your iCal data and save it on your hard drive (as an .icbu file).
- For Mac OS X v10.6 and v10.5, see iCal 5.x: Backing up or restoring calendars.
Export individual calendar(s)
In iCal's sidebar, select the calendar you want to back up. You may wish to do this before troubleshooting an issue with a specific calendar, for example. Use this method for any CalDAV calendars.
- From the File menu, choose Export.
- Save the file. It will be saved as an .ics file.
- Repeat the process for each calendar you want to back up.
Tip: If you want to back up your entire hard drive, including any iCal.icbu or .ics files you've already saved on your drive, you can use Time Machine.