Archived - Mac OS X 10.3: Reinstalling from a Mac OS X Panther Upgrade disc
After installing Mac OS X 10.3.1 Update or later, you won't be able to use the Mac OS X Panther Install disc--part of the Mac OS X Up-To-Date program--to completely reinstall the operating system.
If you have Mac OS X 10.3 Panther retail CDs, DVD, or Restore discs, you can simply reinstall Mac OS X. You don't need to follow the steps in this document.
Note: This document applies to Mac OS X 10.3 through 10.3.9.
Mac OS X 10.3
How to reinstall Mac OS X 10.3 from Panther Upgrade disc
Reinstalling the operating system is not always the best way to troubleshoot an issue. Before reinstalling Mac OS X 10.3, try the steps in "Mac OS X Troubleshooting: How to Isolate an Issue".
If those steps you don't resolve your issue, follow these steps to reinstall Mac OS X 10.3:
- Start up your computer from the Mac OS X 10.2 Install CD. To start from a CD, put the CD in, restart, then hold the C key as the computer starts.
- Perform an Archive and Install installation or an erase install installation.
Warning: Choosing Erase and Install will completely erase the contents of the chosen volume before installing Mac OS X 10.2. Be sure to back up your files before continuing. To learn more, see "Mac OS X: How to Back Up and Restore Your Files".
Important: If you perform an Archive and Install installation, do not choose to preserve user and network settings before installing. You may not be able to log in after installation if you preserve these settings.
For more information, see: "Mac OS X: How to Reinstall a Prior Version" or "Macintosh: How to Restore Your Apple Software"
- Once the installation is finished, complete the Mac OS X registration process.
- After registering Mac OS X, start up the computer from your Mac OS X Panther Upgrade CD.
- Perform an upgrade installation of Mac OS X 10.3.
- Use Software Update preferences to install any available updates.
This document will be updated as more information becomes available.