Archived - What to do if "Allow Bluetooth devices to wake this computer" option is not available
Learn what to check on if "Allow Bluetooth devices to wake this computer", in the Bluetooth preference pane, is dimmed or absent, meaning that a wireless keyboard or mouse can't wake the computer.
You may want to use this feature if you are using an Apple Wireless Keyboard and/or Apple Wireless Mouse with a Macintosh computer that has Bluetooth enabled, using either an internal Bluetooth module or an external adapter (the D-Link DBT-120 revision B2 or later).
First you need to determine if this is expected behavior for your computer. Some computers are not compatible with the wake from sleep feature. These computers are known not to work with this feature:
- Macintosh computers without built-in USB (Note that these do not meet system requirements for an Apple Wireless Keyboard or Apple Wireless Mouse.)
- PowerBook G3 (Bronze Keyboard)
If you are not sure whether you computer works with this feature, put the computer to sleep and connect a wired USB device (disconnecting and reconnecting an existing device is also acceptable). If the wired USB connection does not wake the computer, then the computer will also not work with the Bluetooth wake from sleep feature.
If a wired USB device wakes the computer from sleep but the wireless keyboard and mouse do not, try these additional steps:
- Be sure the computer has Mac OS X 10.2.8 or later.
- Be sure the computer has either an internal Bluetooth module or a connected D-Link DBT-120 USB-to-Bluetooth adapter, revision B2 or later. This feature only works with these devices.
- Download and install the latest Bluetooth software for your operating system.
- If the computer still will not wake, download and install the latest Bluetooth Firmware Updater. Next, open the Bluetooth Firmware Updater (located in /Applications/Utilities) to update the firmware on the Bluetooth adapter. Important: Do not use the update on any Bluetooth adapter other than the internal or supported D-Link adapter.
A label on the back side of the adapter indicates the model number "DBT-120" and revision "H/W:B2" or later.