Archived - Power Mac G5: Display Compatibility
This article provides compatibility information between Apple displays and Power Mac G5 computers.
Note: For Power Mac G4 computers, see Power Mac G4: Display Compatibility.
Power Mac G5 computers use certain video cards with unique monitor ports. Refer to Figure 1 for images of the three connector types.
The Power Mac G5 video cards may have either an ADC port and a DVI-I port (Figure 2), or two DVI-I ports. Power Mac G5 computers are shipped with a DVI-to-VGA adapter for connecting to VGA displays.
Figure 2 ADC and DVI-I ports
In the following table, locate the display and computer you wish to use together. If they are compatible, the video port is listed. Some displays may be connected by using a third-party adapter cable. They are so noted in the table.
|Display Model||Display Connector Type||Power Mac G5 Video Port|
|Apple Cinema Display (20-inch DVI)||DVI||DVI port|
|Apple Cinema Display (23-inch DVI)||DVI||DVI port|
|Apple Cinema Display (30-inch DVI)||DVI||DVI port|
|Apple Cinema Display (20-inch)||ADC||ADC or DVI port (1)|
|Apple Studio Display 17 (LCD)||ADC||ADC or DVI port|
|Apple Cinema HD Display 23 (ADC)||ADC||ADC or DVI port (1)|
|Apple Cinema Display (ADC)||ADC||ADC or DVI port (1)|
|Apple Studio Display 17 (ADC)||ADC||ADC port|
|Apple Studio Display LCD (ADC)||ADC||ADC or DVI port (1)|
|Apple Cinema Display||DVI||DVI port|
|Apple Studio Display 21||VGA||DVI port with VGA adapter (included)|
|Apple Studio Display 17||VGA||DVI port with VGA adapter (included)|
|Apple Studio Display LCD (DVI)||DVI||DVI port|
|Apple Studio Display LCD /B||Macintosh video||DVI port with VGA adapter (included) + Macintosh-to-VGA adapter (available separately)|
|Apple Studio Display LCD|
|All AppleVision displays|
|All ColorSync Displays|
|Multiple Scan 1705|
|Multiple Scan 17 and
Multiple Scan 20
|Multiple Scan 720|
|Some Multiple Scan 15 displays|
- If your Power Mac G5 has DVI ports and you wish to use a display with an ADC connector, adapters such as the Apple DVI to ADC Display Adapter are available to facilitate this.
- Displays with DVI connectors can be connected to Power Mac G5 models with an ADC video card using an ADC to DVI connector.
- It is important to use the right adapter. If you use the wrong adapter with a display, some resolutions may be incorrect or missing, and special features of certain models may not be accessible, such as flat panel adjustments, or ColorSync calibration. You can purchase video adapters from a variety of sources such as your local Apple Retail Store, the Apple store online, or an Apple authorized reseller.
- Older Apple displays that require an Apple Desktop Bus (ADB) connection to the computer do not have full functionality when connected to Power Mac G5 computers. Video works, but some additional features that depend on ADB, such as on-screen adjustments, do not work.
- Some Power Mac G5 video cards support simultaneously connected ADC and DVI displays. This means you can also use two ADC displays using the Apple DVI to ADC Display Adapter (sold separately) or one ADC and one VGA display (using the included DVI to VGA adapter).
- Power and sleep functions are not supported for ADC displays with the Apple DVI to ADC adapter when used with a Power Mac G5 (Late 2005).