Archived - Apple TV (1st generation): About standby mode
To put Apple TV (1st generation) in standby mode, select Settings > Standby from the main menu.
If you are on the main menu, you can also press Play/Pause on the Apple Remote for about three seconds to put Apple TV in standby mode.
What happens to Apple TV (1st generation) in standby mode:
- The hard drive spins down when not syncing or downloading content.
- Video displays black even though video output remains active.
- Audio does not play.
- Download of any content (rented or purchased) from the iTunes Store continues uninterrupted.
- Apple TV continues to appear in the iTunes device list, allowing you to view synced content.
- Network connections remain active and Apple TV continues to appear in the iTunes device list, allowing you to sync content.
- The fan continues to operate.
Note: If the Apple TV (1st generation) is in standby mode during a sync operation, content continues to write to the hard drive.
To wake the Apple TV (1st generation), press any button on the remote.